Wednesday, August 4, 2010

8/4

Today I tried to calibrate my Nike + foot pod.  I say "try" because it told me I'd run 1.25 miles when I'd really run 1.5. 

So I tried it all over again, using the instructions' suggestion to calibrate using a workout I'd already completed.  I ran another 1.5 miles and guess what?  This time I'd only run 1.12 miles, according to the sensor.  The cool female voice berated me for running a 12:30 mile.

I got online and typed in "can't calibrate Nike +" and I got about a billion hits.  Apparently these things are very temperamental.  Among my mistakes:
  • taping the sensor to my shoe rather than shelling out $70 for a pair of Nike+ shoes
  • running on a treadmill
  • aligning the sensor vertically rather than horizontally
  • running hills

    So looks like I'll be trying this all over again, which means I have to go to a track.  And decide if I want to buy new shoes (mine are about 3 years old, so they're getting a little battered, but I love them), or jimmy the sensor in my laces somehow.   

    STATS:  3 miles, 8:30/mile or 12:30, take your pick, Steve Jobs. 

2 comments:

  1. How do you run in shoes that old? I get tendinitis in my knees and shin splints when I try to run regularly in anything more than 500 miles. I over pronate so I'm more susceptible to those types of injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I replace my shoes when my knees start hurting--although the side of my foot has been hurting when I run over 7 or 8 miles. I've been putting off replacing them until I can visit the shoe store in my hometown that does gait analysis--I'm pretty sure I'm overpronating, but not positive.

    ReplyDelete