Monday, August 16, 2010

8/16

On Saturday I went to a technical running store and had my gait analyzed.  Apparently I roll back on my heel, then roll forward onto my toe.  The verdict was that I needed a shoe with a straighter last, a larger toe box, and a half-size larger to give more room for my feet to swell as I ran--which apparently is the most common problem (shoes are too small, then as you run your feet swell and start to hurt from being jammed in).  I ran with my new shoes this morning and didn't have any of the foot pain that I've been having with my old ones, but let me tell you this--all that new support made them feel really heavy.  My feet felt great, but my calves did not (I ended up with Asics Gel Fortitudes, if you're interested.  When I looked them up online later it said they were best for large-framed runners or severe over-pronators; I'm just going to tell myself that my problem is the latter!  :-)  I also got a iPod strap for my arm and a pouch for the Nike + on my laces (I looked at the Nike + shoes, but apparently they're not a good shape for my gait). 

My run today didn't feel so lovely...I was really tired from the weekend and the drive back (we got in about 10 last night and guess what?  all the kids were still awake, which meant it was a loooong drive, since we were stuck in traffic by Chicago).  So I slept in, and then I was just tired as I ran, and when I coughed I had bile come up my throat--all that lovely stuff.

STATS:  3.5 miles, 8:45/mile

1 comment:

  1. Those shoes sound pretty extreme. You might get a second opinion next time.

    ReplyDelete