Wednesday, August 17, 2011

8/17

So on Monday night I was working until midnight on my courses for fall (they just made the sites available at 7 pm Monday, hence why I waited until the last week before the semester starts to do it...).  And then I was worrying about things and fell asleep at 2 am, and Luke woke up for the day at 6, and I spent the next hour groggily hoping that he would go back to sleep.  In other words, I didn't get up early to run Tuesday like I was planning to. 

Then I spent Tuesday afternoon during naptime working on my website again, and the same thing at night--I finished around 10 pm and Neil told me to just go to bed instead of running (too bad I didn't fall asleep until 12:30; I should have just run anyway).  I was so stressed about not running and trying to work out if I could run Thursday instead of taking a rest day, etc.

Anyway, so I finally did get to run today and boy was it a tough one...I keep beating myself up mentally about my times, comparing them to last year when I'd been running 25 miles a week all summer (although at this time last year I was pregnant and still putting up pretty good times...aaah, the self-beating-up continues).  Anyway. 

9x400-meter repeats today, except I wasn't running them on a track so I just ran 2 minute intervals, which means that my "fast" pace was going longer than 400 meters.  It was not the best run for me today.

I ran the first three at 7:30 pace out and 8:20 back (I think I ran the first one back a little slower but then I bumped it up).  Then Luke started screaming so I gave him his pacifier and ran another 2 at 7:30/8:20.  Then he started screaming like CRAZY so I put him in his bouncy seat and ran another 2 at 7:30/8:20 and I started getting the worst side ache, and I do NOT get side aches.  I can tell you when I had the last one--mile 8 of my first half-marathon in April 2010 running up the biggest hill I've ever run in my life.  And that's the only one I can remember since I ran a cross-country training run too fast in 7th grade.

I digress.  Side ache really bad, and I wanted to stop sooo bad, but I finished out the repeat, and then slowed down to 8:00 out/8:20 back.  Then it sort of gets hazy because I was playing mind games with myself trying to finish out the last repeat and I ran at 8:12 for a minute, then 8:06 for 30 seconds, then finally up to my 8:00/pace for a minute, then it was the "back" and I slowed it down to 8:06, then realized I really wanted to finish in less than 36 minutes so I went back to 8:00 and finished there.  The treadmill didn't flip over to the mileage until 36:09 (it alternates between showing speed and mileage) but I'm just going to call it at 36.

4.5 miles; 9x400 repeats; avg. pace 8:00/mile.

this might be the longest training log post ever.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was easier to run with Luke on the inside even though you were carrying him than it has been since his arrival on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah--it's really hard for me mentally to start and stop, plus it's killer when I'm trying to build endurance!

    ReplyDelete