Wednesday, September 15, 2010

9/15

Three-miler this morning.  I thought about running farther, but my body is really starting to not be happy with me.  The rest of my life is contributing stress, so that I'm getting physically worn out, even when I'm not running 200 miles a week or something crazy like that.  (Although most people who run that much probably don't have a ton of other commitments, because really, how would you have time? Or maybe they do and I'm just a wimp.) Apparently 25 a week is enough for all kinds of crazy things to start happening; my menstrual cycle has become incredibly irregular/nonexistent, and I'm so tired that I  fell asleep the other night after dinner with Juliet sitting on my head brushing my hair and Isaac climbing over my legs.

So I'm really looking forward to the 10K this weekend; it means I'm only running 6.2 miles on Saturday, plus I'm going to take Thurs and Fri. off.  I feel like a wimp, but honestly, I haven't missed a single run in the last 8 weeks, and the five runs a week is taking a toll on me.  I am just worn out, and I've got to recharge before that race.

Anybody else feel this way?  (And in particular, I am kind of disturbed by the whole athletic amenorrhea thing.  Granted, it hasn't been six months for me, which is the diagnosis point, but one of the reasons why I decided not to do a marathon was so I didn't mess that up too much, since I'd like to have another baby in the next year or so.  One of my friends told me that it was pretty much the norm for everyone on her college soccer team and then again on her mission, but still...it kind of worries me).  Has this happened to anyone else, or have you heard of it before?

STATS:  3 miles; didn't time, but probably around 8:50ish/mile

6 comments:

  1. Can't say I've had some of the above mentioned problems. :o) I have fallen asleep after dinner. I just skipped the next morning run and slept in that extra hour. I also look forward to a Sunday afternoon nap when I'm wiped out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few female runners that read my running blog. Would you like me to point them to your's?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chad, that would be fantastic--I'd really love to hear from other female runners if they've experienced the same thing.

    By the way, is there any way I can comment on your blog without being a Utah runner? I read it all the time, but I can't ever say anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't have to be a "Utah" runner, but you do have to sign up for the blog. You should and then just copy and paste your entries. I'll post my question. Hopefully you'll get some response.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachael, I'm from Chad's corner of the blogging world and just thought I'd drop a note and say hello. Sounds like you've done your research on the issues stated, but from what I understand it has more to do with a drop in body fat percentage than activity. I've been running marathon mileage for about 18 months now and got pregnant after my 3rd marathon and now have a beautiful little 3 month old. I haven't had amenorreha, even in HS when I was at my thinnest and very active, but I also maintained about 16-18% body fat during my training. Again, from what I understand you go into a risk category when it slips below 14%. This is all just book knowledge from me, but I have been able to train at higher mileage (50-60) and stay regular, enough to get pregnant. Now, when I was trying to conceive I had a harder time than I had in the past (when I wasn't active and fat). It took 6 months where as I would usually pick a day and time and 9 months later have a baby. It was from lack of ovulating, not from amenorrha.
    So, a long hello longer - I think it really depends on you and your body. For me the mileage is fine and I don't have much of a problem, but I also don't have a problem eating lots of ice cream and crappy food to keep my body fat high enough :) Right now I'm training for St George Marathon and hitting 60 mpw and still able to fully nurse my baby. I don't supplement at all, and I do about 6 hours of cross-training on top of my miles. I am carrying around an extra 15 pounds of fat to sustain the nursing, but again...I don't have a problem eating enough to do that :)
    I hope that things work out for you. Giving your body a break before the 10K is an excellent idea. Runners are at their best when they listen to their bodies over a 'plan'! Oh, and come join the FRB - lots of good advice, fun people, and GREAT encouragement!!!

    Rachel aka RAD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you send a private message to Allie? I don't know if you saw her comment on my blog. I think I saw that you signed up but I haven't seen any entries. Is that right? Any way, Allie may have some good advice. She just WON the the TOU marathon!

    ReplyDelete