Monday, January 9, 2012

Getting desperate

Okay, so I am REALLY hoping Neil can fix the treadmill soon--he's fixed two parts so far but he hasn't had time to diagnose the next problem (I have the sinking feeling I'm going to have to order something big and expensive soon...).

I knew it was going to be hard to get my runs in once the semester started; Neil's lab times have changed and today I shuttled Abigail over to school to meet briefly with a couple of her teachers, then took all 4 kids to the pediatrician and dentist, then everyone home for lunch/naps/etc., and then in my last remaining hour of daylight we went to the dance studio so Abigail could be measured for her recital costume.  Neil got home after dark and I was thinking about going running then, but felt nervous about it, so I ended up signing up for a week's trial membership at the gym nearest to our house. (News flash:  it is not good for me to run in a room full of strangers.  I get way too competitive.  I wanted to outrun every single person and never stop for water or whatnot. Or stop, period.)

So for dinner I ate this Waldorf wrap with tuna, cranberries, apples, spinach, and red onion.  It was really good so I ate another one.  And then I ate broccoli, peaches, plums, and cherries (I was ravenously hungry because all I ate for lunch was a couple spoonfuls of leftover pad Thai and I had a boiled egg and an English muffin for breakfast--anyway I was really hungry).  And then I went running half an hour later in an overheated gym where I wanted to outrun everyone else and I was staring at myself in a mirror and trying to go faster because I was watching myself.  I'm sure you can guess the result. Too much food (it's going to be a looong time before I can eat tuna again), too much heat, too much speed.

I ran the first 3.5 miles under 8:00/mile--around 7:50ish--cranking up to 7:30/mile because that's what the guy next to me was doing (note:  he was only running like 5 minutes at a time and then walking for ten, so why did I feel all competitive?)  And then I started feeling bad.  So I took a drink, but that didn't help, so I stopped the treadmill, took a drink, stretched, and started running again, and I started feeling that awful YOU ARE GOING TO THROW UP NOW after 2 minutes of running, so I pretty much sprinted for the bathroom.  I didn't actually throw up but I spent a long time hugging the toilet bowl in a public bathroom.  Awesome, right?

Anyway, I finished out my remaining 1.28 miles at a slower pace (9:05) and felt sheepish and humbled.

5 miles; pace varying between 7:30 and 9:14 like the repentant fool that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment