Monday, May 25, 2015

5/25

Race Saturday was okay but not my best; I went into it really tired bc Nathan has been up a LOT at night lately. At 2 am Friday night I was walking around with him thinking about the fact that I had to get up in 3 hours, and I decided that I just wanted to run a sub-2, which I did (1:58:26). So not a PR, but it was my second-best time.

The course wasn't too bad, but I was just tired! To PR, I needed 8:53/mile, but it was ragged and not a good race. It was hot enough that I stopped to walk through every water stop except the one at 12.5. This burned up quite a bit of time, but mid-race I was dizzy from heat and lack of sleep, so...oh well. I will say that I felt like CRAP this entire race and was saying things like, "Running is stupid," and "Why did I sign up for another marathon? That was even stupider than running." Oh, and we were under a boil-your-water advisory all day Friday, so I didn't drink nearly as much as I usually do.

Mile splits:

1: 8:31 --too fast. Pacer stunk and I dropped back as soon as I realized that he was going  too fast.
2: 9:22 --I don't know what's going on with this. My Garmin told me I was on pace for this lap so I have no idea where this came from. I do know there was a water stop here and I vaguely remember choking while trying to run and drink and then having to stop and drink it so maybe that's it?
3: 8:40--felt pretty good this mile, but it was through a boring neighborhood.
4: 8:51
5: 8:48
6: 9:02 -- heat started to get to me. Water stop and walked. First mile marker appeared and was .35 early according to my Garmin and everyone was stressing about it. I slowed down because I thought I was going too fast and I was going to kill my pace. Stupid mile marker. (I left a Facebook comment about the lack of splits and markers and got a lot of likes--apparently this was a real issue for a lot of runners!)
7: 9:07 -- another water stop. Another misplaced mile marker--.34 too early.
8: 9:05 -- lots of rollers in the woods. Had to pull back running down because they were so short I couldn't accelerate well. Mile marker was closer but was 1.2 miles after the last mile marker.
9: 8:52-- vaguely remember feeling really good this mile; the woods had evened out and I was feeling strong.
10: 9:26 -- single-track along a busy road and stuck behind a slow guy. It took forever for traffic to clear so I could pass him. The road was SUPER cambered and it hurt so bad--my right side tightened up a lot. I saw a ton of complaints later on Facebook about this road!
11: 10: 30 -- rock in my shoe--tried to ignore it but finally had to completely stop and get it out. I was so dizzy that it took me a really long time to get my shoe back on and I thought I was going to either pass out or throw up.
12: 9: 22 -- picked it up a little but stopped for water and then ran back to the water stop to get a Gu. I still had blocks but was hoping that the Gu would shake things up a little bit--mostly it just tasted like, well, Gu, so I threw it away after half a mile or so.
13: 8: 50 -- just put my head down and ran because I wanted it to be over so bad! And my Garmin only clocked 13 miles!!! I ran tangents aggressively so maybe that's it? The course was certified but who knows given the mile marker snafu...

All in all, I'm glad it's over. I finished feeling like crap but I think I felt better than Neil, who was just sort of lying on the football field for a long time afterwards--then again, I'd been training much harder and he just ran it cold. So kudos to him for pulling it out! He finished 10 seconds faster than I did (he dropped me at mile 12, but I almost caught him during mile 13 and just about smacked into him in the finish chute because he expected me to be much farther back).

3-mile recovery run tonight after sunset (still pretty humid thought!) to shake it out after a long day of mowing the lawn, putting in the garden, zoo, two playgrounds, and a parade. 10:30 first mile, 10:19 second mile, 8:45 third mile (strides). Felt great afterwards which is good because marathon training starts today!!!! See? First run all crossed out and done. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment