Saturday, July 31, 2010

7/31

There's something just wrong about getting up at 6 am on a Saturday to go run in the drizzle, but up we got.
My running buddy came over at 6:15 to watch our kids (we're trading back and forth; I'm going over there tonight) so that Neil and I could go together.

This was our first long run; we ran 3 miles down to campus and 3 miles back.  It was beautifully cool for a change, and thanks to the sprinkling rain, it felt like practically zero humidity.  We ran all the hills we could find, including the big one by campus.  The elevation change is 135 feet; the elevation change on the first half-marathon hill looks to be about 150 feet, so I'm hoping that if we just keep running this hill every week that the half-marathon hill won't be so bad. 

Actually, that hill was much easier than I expected.  I'm hoping this is a good sign--I didn't ever feel like I needed to stop and walk, and I didn't have any cramps or twinges in my legs.  The callus on my left foot started to bother me at the end of the run, so I'm wondering if I should go see if there's something I can do about that...

We went pretty slow this morning, since we were both tired (and did I mention a bunch of hills?).  I'm going to calibrate my Nike sensor this week so that I can actually start telling how fast we're going, instead of checking watches every so often.

STATS:  6 miles, a little under an hour but I'm honestly not sure

2 comments:

  1. Consumer Reports says the PedEgg actually does a really good job at removing calluses (better than a pumice stone). I'm thinking of getting one. I'll let you know how it works, if I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly can't think of a better time with better weather than 6am in a drizzle. I little rain and a little less sweat is a good thing. I'm interested to see how your Nike pedometer works. I've always used a Garmin, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete