Wednesday, March 20, 2013

35ish weeks--last run? Hopefully not!

So on Monday after I'd run half a mile, I felt a weird pop in my calf and then a lot of pain.  I stopped running and stretched and tried to walk it out, and it got bearable enough to keep going, so I thought I might as well run through it.  I finished out the four miles and it was still pretty achy and my veins were all outlined in bluish-purple bruising.  I ended up calling my midwife because I've had so many vascular issues with that leg and I was worried that maybe I was headed for a blood clot or something like that.  She told me to go into the ER; by the time I got there I was having noticeable contractions every 8-10 minutes, so I ended up having to go to labor & delivery and THEN the ER.  It was a completely awful night.  The verdict was a tear in one of my calf muscles, and the doctor told me to take it easy for a week or so.

I didn't exercise at all on Tuesday; today my leg was feeling quite a bit better so I walked at a gentle pace (18:40 mile) for 3 miles.  My leg felt fine the whole time (I was being really careful not to push off in a way that extended my calf, like I would if I was running) and I'm sure I would have been fine to walk longer, but I didn't want to push it.  So...we'll see what happens.  My hope is that I'll substitute another run or two with walking and then be back to running soon, but I'm not pushing it right now because I do NOT want to go see the orthopedic surgeon (like I'm supposed to be doing today).

No comments:

Post a Comment