Wednesday, November 10, 2010

11/8, 11/10

So here's the thing.  I stayed on bedrest through Wednesday of last week, at which point things were improved (i.e. no bleeding).  Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I took it easy, but not bedrest-easy.  Like still doing things around the house but trying to lie down for awhile in the afternoon and going to bed early.  I slept 12 hours both Friday and Saturday nights.

I felt awesome on Monday.  My sore throat was gone and my stuffed-up sinuses felt so much better.  And I thought about how the nurse said I could "gradually" work back up to more activity, including possibly running, at some point.

I know this may seem stupid, but I really feel like the bleeding was connected to the fact that I threw up and was coughing nonstop--which hasn't happened during my entire pregnancy to date--rather than my running.  You'd think that the half-marathon would have caused issues if the running was the problem. 

And then I thought about it some more and prayed about it too (yep!).  And talked to Neil about it and got his approval, and my mom, who is not a fan of running in the first place but agreed with my not running-but-sickness-inducing-bad-things reasoning. 

So...I ran.

Only two miles, and 10-minute miles rather than my normal pace.  Then I walked another 2 miles.  It felt GREAT to run again.  So, so, so great.  I had more energy the rest of the day and I slept much better that night.

So then I kind of waited to see if anything happened--no cramping, no bleeding.

So I did a prenatal yoga DVD yesterday. 

Still fine.

So I ran 4 miles today (the first two were 10-minute miles, but honestly, it was so slow that it was harder to run, so I bumped up the speed a wee bit and my overall average pace was 9:36/mile.  Still felt awesome.

Now we'll see what happens. 

I'm hoping that if I go to my doctor next week and say, look, I've been running--less than usual and slower than usual but still running--that she will okay it officially.  Whereas I think if I stayed on bedrest and THEN asked her if I could run, the answer would probably be no, because she isn't a runner and tends to be pretty conservative.  And then by the time I got cleared to run again (after the 20-week ultrasound would be the earliest date, I'm guessing?) it would be too late to start again.

So, I'm hoping that this works out and that I don't end up regretting running.  I'm not trying to outsmart the doctor, or sneak around my body's and the baby's needs, but I don't want to give up something that is beneficial if it's not causing problems.  It is still kind of nerve-wracking, however...

No comments:

Post a Comment