Saturday, September 14, 2013

9/14

This has been a weird week for running.  On the one hand, it hasn't been great in terms of mileage; on the other, it's been good in terms of prioritizing my family.

So on Tuesday I did speedwork but not super hard because I was planning to run 9 miles Wednesday night.  I think I did 8 x400 and ran it at 8:34/9:13 for the out and back legs.  Wednesday night it was SO hot--like 95 and super humid--and when my running buddy called to say she'd be at least half an hour late (we were planning to meet at 8 pm) I suggested that we run on Friday when it was supposed to be cooler.  So I ended up just running an easy 3 that night as I was originally scheduled to do.

On Friday we were planning to do our long run, but as the day went on I just felt increasingly like I needed to cancel and spend some time with my family instead.  This week I taught a sewing class on Tuesday night, took Abs to piano Wednesday and then ran, and led book group Thursday night, so I hadn't seen much of either Neil or the kids.  Friday night is always our date night since he works Saturdays, plus I'd promised the kids I would take them to the library book sale Friday night.  So I cancelled my long run and was planning to run the 4 that night, but...it didn't happen.  I got home about 9 and Neil was SO excited to spend some time together that I didn't want to delay it any further.

Saturday I was hoping to do 9-10 to make up for everything else.  And I had to run it on the treadmill.  I was SO tired--Nathan & Luke had both been up about every hour during the night and then we took the kids to the zoo this morning.  My legs just felt dead.  I ended up running 7.2 (with stops) before I was just so tired that I was SO happy when Nathan woke up crying to eat!  I'd actually stopped right before he woke up and I was so glad to have the excuse to stop.  I'd done quite a lot of hills early in the run and I think that wore me out for the rest.

So.

4.5 Monday, 4 Tuesday, 3 Wed, 7.2 Friday.  So not what I'd planned, but it was what I needed to do this week.  Sometimes it's hard for me to remember that anything I'm running is great.  I've never tried to train for a half-marathon with a baby this young, plus I now have 5 kids, I'm working 20 hours a week, and I have a house to run and children to raise.

And to be perfectly honest, I realized that this weekend is the 10K I've run a couple times in the past and so if I had done that--as I usually would--then I would have run one mile less this week anyway.  So that's comforting.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment